Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Draw of Nostalgia

A couple days ago, I was sitting on my couch watching yet another kiddie movie (oh how I adore family movies!) and reminiscing about Saturday mornings spent at my father's work. We'd arrive early in the morning, the office quiet, dark. Backpacks loaded with distractions and a recorded VHS tape with Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry re-runs at the ready, he'd deposit us in his office. If (and a big if) we begged hard enough, he'd hunt down the floppy disk with Lemmings on it. Since I was the only one with the patience to play the strategy game, I'd usually sit there and play until I became too frustrated with my stupid, dying Lemmings.

I had to find this game again! If only to sigh at screen shots and smile. Of course it wouldn't play on my system, being from 1991 and all. I mean, I can barely play Diablo II, I have to jump through hoops and date my system way back to Windows XP (gasp, that was so long ago, right?!). However, some marvelous man, who is now a hero in my eyes, rewrote the game in Java to play in a web browser. You can only play ten levels per difficulty setting, but that's okay! Hey, that's makes forty challenging levels in all, where I attempt to save mindless little blue, white and green pixels from killing themselves. Weee, what fun!

I am happy to say I have beat two difficulty settings, but have yet to make it past the first level on the third difficulty setting. Writing... I've been doing some of that too, I swear! This is the perfect break for in between those emotionally draining moments, where you need recovery time before moving on. Most levels take about five minutes and the ones that don't, well you're frustrated after five minutes of making your Lemmings go nuclear, exploding into a rainbow of pixelated fireworks.

Now, if I can only find the frog in the blender, life would be complete... OMG, I found it, ahahaha, and now I'm laughing so hard I'm crying. Links to these marvelous distractions below.

http://nerdnirvana.org/g4m3s/frogblender2000.htm/ - Frog Blender 2000 - Make sure you have your sound turned up!


What old games are nostalgic for you?

Elaina


No comments:

Post a Comment