Thursday, December 9, 2010

An interview with Rhiannon Ellis

I had the pleasure of meeting and being able to interview debut author, Rhiannon Ellis. A sweet, kind woman who makes great strides to help every writer she comes across. This is a woman you want on your friends list! So please, give her a big welcome.

Welcome, Rhiannon! I'm sure you get this all time, but are you named after the Fleetwood Mac song, or are you just lucky to have such a beautiful name?

LOL! Yes, I do get this all the time. My parents did indeed name me after the Fleetwood Mac song, Rhiannon. I don't mind when people ask. What I do mind, however, is when they sing the song to me...in public. It's a little embarrassing.

When did the writing bug bite you?

I remember it clearly, the moment I knew I wanted to write. It was in the third grade. All students had to write a poem using their full names. No easy task when your name is Rhiannon Virginia Hill. I scribbled something down in about five minutes and forgot about it until I heard my name over the loudspeaker a few weeks later. My poem won second place! I've been writing ever since.

You're published through Camel Press, a new publisher, are you excited to be a part of something new?

I really am. Camel Press is a new fiction imprint of the mostly non-fiction publisher, Coffeetown Press, based out of Seattle. When I received an offer from them, I researched their current authors. Talk about impressive! Some of these men and women have amazing backgrounds. Some have been published many, many times. Here I am, a newbie author with her debut novel, no previous publishing credits, a stay-at-home mom, and my book will share a virtual shelf with those who have already accomplished so much. It's humbling and exciting.

You have an agent! Something almost every writer strives for. What did you do when you received the news she'd represent you?

I screamed. I really did! Like my publisher, Dawn Dowdle--aka Agent Lady--was new to the industry at the time. She took a chance on me, and I took a chance on her. It's worked out rather well.

Your book, Bonded in Brazil, tell us a little bit about it.

Sure. Bonded In Brazil is a contemporary romance and will be released around March of 2011. Here's a brief description:

Family is everything ...

A few missed loan payments, and a family of Brazilian vintners stands to lose the fruits of four generations of labor. To save the business, devoted daughter Eliana Menino strikes a deal of her own to work off the family debt in service to the man she calls demonio—devilishly handsome private investor Hale Forester.

More than she bargained for ...

Uprooted from her childhood home in exotic Brazil to work for Hale at his sprawling Napa Valley estate, Eliana soon realizes that the ruthless man who can make or break her family has a secret past ... and the power to break her heart.

Where did you find the inspiration?

I'm afraid I don't have an interesting tale for this one. This was my first attempt at writing romance, and I knew I wanted a vineyard setting, mainly because I love movies with vineyard/wine-making themes. A Walk In The Clouds. French Kiss. *Sigh.* I also wanted my heroine to be Latina. I find Latina women to be innately sensual, and they have a strong sense of family that I felt readers could relate to. I built my story around these two elements, and everything else fell into place. Thank goodness!

I noticed on your blog you offer so much to the writing community, you really extend your hand out. What made you decide to be so giving? Do you find a lot of authors take you up on your offer to be on your blog? (I know I was really excited, thank you again!)

Aww, thank you for saying that. I love featuring people within the writing industry on my blog. If it helps get them a sale, great! Maybe it'll drive more traffic to their own blog/website. Opportunities are hard to come by in this business, so we have to pay it forward when we can.

I should be honest...it also gives me a break from writing my own posts. *looks away in shame*

All the authors I've invited have been gracious and gung-ho. Appearing on blogs is a great way to build an online presence; I think they realize that.

What projects are you working on for the future?

The question is: What projects am I NOT working on? I suffer from too many ideas and love starting a new story. Right now, I'm heavily focused on finishing another contemporary romance, one that uses minor characters from Bonded In Brazil. My goal is to finish and edit it by the time my first book is released in March. After that, I plan to finish a paranormal romance I'm excited about.

Thank you so much, Rhiannon, for being here! Where else can we find you?

Thanks for having me. This was fun. My website is currently under construction, so for now I can be found and followed at my blog: http://rhiannonellis.blogspot.com

7 comments:

  1. Great interview. Lots of luck for both of you with your published works. And lots of luck to Dawn too, aka Agent Lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting interview! Looking forward to reading Bonded in Brazil in March!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you do, Krissy, let me know what you think :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great questions, Elaina.

    Rhiannon, Congrats on your dual success: finding an agent AND publisher. How many trunk manuscripts did it take? LOL

    Bonded in Brazil sounds like an interesting read. I love a hero with a past. I'll look for it when it comes out in March.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Ali! As far as trunked manuscripts, well, there was one. That ms did get agented but never contracted by a publisher. It happens. I've retitled it: GOOD PRACTICE. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo! Thanks everyone for stopping by and reading the interview. :-) I'm trying to figure it out why it showed up beneath my other post... so strange!

    ReplyDelete