Monday, January 17, 2011

All Things Romantic Suspense: Interview #2 - Kiki Howell


Please give a warm welcome to my second guest in the All Things Romantic Suspense event. I hope you'll take the time to get to know this established author who's support to the writing community is inspiring.

Hi, KiKi! Welcome to my blog. Before we get started, tell us a little about you!

Hi Elaina! Thank you for having me. I am a wife, married for 15 years now to a man I met in college. We have two middle school aged boys and two dogs, along with a perpetually messy house no matter what I do! LOL

You have a blog just for authors, what made you decide to start that venture?

I wanted to get to know other authors and help them promote their work. But, I also wanted something a bit different. Personally, I like to know what the authors I love are reading. I think it tells me about their work, maybe what has inspired them, but also, I want to hear what they have to say about what they are reading. I think sometimes authors tend to ‘read’ books a bit differently, maybe looking at things others wouldn’t. I set up my author interview questions around this premise as well.

Have you been surprised with its success?

Blown away actually. Once you start opening the doors, make friends, the support is wonderful. And, some days, I open my emails and feel a bit in over my head as well! But, I keep on. I love it! I have met so many amazing authors and had the privilege of reviewing some of their work as well.

So, as with all our wonderful and amazingly talented cohorts in crime, you write romantic suspense. Why?

Well, actually, I think of myself more as a paranormal author, but with that genre, suspense just seems part of the package. For me, writing is an escape. I like my escape to be otherworldly and to keep me on the edge of my seat!

Is that your only genre? If so, why have you decided to stay there? If not, what made you venture on to different genres?

Oh, I have ventured onto other genres. In fact, my newest release, Torn Asunder’s genre list reads like this: Historical (Regency), Paranormal (Witches & Shifters), Erotic, Romantic Suspense
Historical is my newest venture. I liked reading Regency romances, so I challenged myself to write a Regency novel myself.

What character have you connected most with, be it main or supporting?

I always find these character questions difficult. Maybe it is just semantics, but I don’t really connect with one more so than another. Really, they are all extensions of me, of the way I see the world, or wish I could escape it. Good and bad alike. Often my bad characters come from my own frustrations with the world in some way. I hope that makes sense.

Of all your characters who is your favorite and why?

Again, I really couldn’t say. I like most of my heroines for their strength in the face of diversity. I have read self-help authors who say that we are our best, most alive, learning, when we are up against chaos. I push my characters, and I like how they persevere. Of course, I would like to be able to say a spell and…well, you get the picture. J

Lastly, what do you find is your biggest inspiration for helping you weave tales?

Life in general. I can find inspiration anywhere, my family, my friends, the news (although I try to avoid it), a non-fiction book, etc. I like to let the ordinary explode into the unordinary, and hand it some hope along the way. I write to escape, to cope, and I do so in a paranormal way. Makes life fun.

Thank you so much for visiting, Kiki! Please tell everyone where they can find out more about you: www.kikihowell.com

Please make sure you check back tomorrow for peek at Kiki's newest release, Torn Asunder. I'll be featuring all the information you need to learn about where to find this book plus an excerpt for your reading pleasure.

Elaina

5 comments:

  1. Hey, Kiki! I'm so glad you stopped by! You're very welcome, it was fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always love TA and can't wait to get it. Elaine great questions KiKi brilliant and honest answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, ladies! Wonderful interview.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, ladies! I'm really glad you enjoyed it. I know Bri, I can't wait to get my hands on one of Kiki's books too!

    ReplyDelete