Monday, January 24, 2011

All Things Romantic Suspense: Interview #3 - Bri Clark


For week three of the All Things Romantic Suspense tour, I'd like to welcome Bri Clark:

Hello, and please welcome Bri to my blog! Before we get started, here's a little about the author:

Bri Clark is a real example of redemption and renewal. Growing penniless in the South, Bri learned street smarts while caring for her brother in a broken home. She watched her mother work several jobs to care for their small family. Once her brother could fend for himself, Bri moved on to a series of bad choices including leaving school and living on her own. Rebelliousness was a strong understatement to describe those formative years. As a teenager, her wakeup call came from a fight with brass knuckles and a judge that gave her a choice of shaping up or spending time in jail. She took that opportunity and found a way to moved up from the streets. She ended up co-owning an extremely successful construction business. She lived the high life until the real estate crash when she lost everything. She moved west and found herself living with her husband and 4 kids in a 900 spare foot apartment. She now fills her time, writing, blogging, leading a group of frugal shoppers and sharing her southern culture. Her unique background gives her writing a raw sensibility. She understands what it takes to overcome life’s obstacles. She often tells friends, “I can do poor. I’m good at poor. It’s prosperity that I’m not used to.” Bri and her husband Chris live in Boise. Bri is known as the Belle of Boise for her true southern accent, bold demeanor and hospitable nature.

So, as with all our wonderful and amazingly talented cohorts in crime, you write romantic suspense. Why?

Because that’s just how it comes out. I think it has a lot to do with how I’m programmed. If I lived in a comic book I would probably be the diabolical villains wife: the one who was really in charge.

LOL! So is that your only genre? If so, why have you decided to stay there? If not, what made you venture on to different genres?

Everything I have wrote is what would be considered clean fiction. It's all I write. However I believe a love story isn't just about the story. It's about the chemistry of the characters: emotional and physical. The struggle between duty, destiny and desire that put the romance in a love story.

What do you find is your biggest inspiration for writing?

Life, music, other books, stories, movies, tv shows, the relationship I have with my husband is an essential element. It’s a joke between us I always kill off the character that are the most like my husband or the one’s he inspires. I tell him I do that cause I don’t like to share him with anyone.

Awww, that is so sweet! I'm such an avid music listening when I write, so I find it curious to know if others are too. Do you ever listen to music to help you write scenes? If so, what's at the top of your playlist now?

Absolutely Yes. Right now it’s country, women like Miranda Lambert and Heidi Newfield have some great songs lately that I just have on replay. Oh and Christina Aguilera’s Bound To You from Burlesque.

I haven't heard of them, well except Christina. I shall have to check them out. :-). What's a good writing tip you'd give to an aspiring author?

Write every freaking day and plot everything. Whether you write in a journal or a grocery list, and then give yourself credit. My tolerance for guilt is like -5 on a scale from 1-10. Lets face it, as writers we always feel guilty not writing at all, enough or more. Plot, plot, and more plotting…try to figure out the movie before the end. Make up a story while sitting at the bus stop watching your neighbors. It’s like any other muscle you use you have to exercise it to strengthen it.

Do you get as excited with each acceptance of a novel as you did with your first one?

Yes…it just keeps getting better. You always wonder if it was a fluke. Will this be the novel that unravels everything. A great mentor told me once that in publishing, it’s not what you have done, it’s what your doing.

Those words are so true! Have you ever had a secondary character try to take over a story? If so, what did you do about it?

Yes. I’ve been working on doing a separate short/back story. Knowing her it will turn into a novel. She’s very pushy.

I know each story holds a special place in our hearts, but to date, which one has been favorite to write and why?

Familial Witch is my current favorite. It started out as the back story of Aisleen then it turned into the fantastic love story between her and this another supporting character in The Awakening.

Thank you so much for stopping by, Bri! Please let everyone know where they can find more about you:

Briclarkthebelleofboise.blogspot.com

http://www.astraeapress.com/index.html

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1332550754

twitter handle is Bri_clark

Thank ya kindly Elaina for having me.

Come back tomorrow to check out an excerpt from Bri's DEBUT NOVELLA, The Familial Witch. I'm so excited to share her very first publication with you!

Elaina


7 comments:

  1. Thanks Jerri...this whole things has been a blast. Thanks for having me Elaina...I'm reading blood on the Moon now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blood on the Moon? Is it a werewolf story? Sounds intriguing! And thank you so much for joining me here! I can't wait to see your beautiful cover grace my blog tomorrow. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elaina...LOL I'm sorry I meant Written In Blood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! *bites nails* I'm so nervous! I hope you enjoy. :-) Thanks, Bri!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the insanity, Bri.
    I wish you nothing but the best with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks DA....I'm thoroughly embedded in the debauchery.

    ReplyDelete