Friday, January 7, 2011

What is a writer to do?

I had a dream the other night that would make an excellent, interesting novel. The issue I have with writing it however, is I'd probably be made out to be some radical environmentalist who's promising the doom of our world and our species. Now, let me assure you, I'm not. Yes, I think we need to take care of the planet we've been gifted, but I'm not about to shove any beliefs in peoples faces. So then, what do I do with this idea?

Have you ever been faced with the same situation, whether it be political, environmental or even religious? While I know I shouldn't even worry about it, a good story is after all a good story, I don't want to be labeled or scorned over a work of fiction. Does that make me weak?

If you've been brave enough to write something that could be considered out there a little bit, and I'm not talking fantasy, but perhaps in beliefs, whether yours or someone else's or even fictional but based on fact or real beliefs, what has been your experience? Positive, negative? What made you decide to go forward?


Elaina
>

6 comments:

  1. Well...I could probably be labeled a perv since I've written some pretty...sensual love scenes. But that's what the story/stories called for. It wasn't me! I swear, it's the characters' fault! I think writers should write what inspires them, even if it is offensive to some readers. Your job is not to please everyone. Your job is to create art. So write your story and be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, you ladies could be a bad news for my muse, ahahhahaa! She's on her knees begging to let just one idea pass by, she says she's busy enough! But, I may have to agree. The idea was neat and I think it'd be a shame to not even TRY to write it, you know? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say go for it, girl!! At least get a basic storyline down while it's in your brain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't ignore your Muse...follow your dreams;-)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Follow my dreams, ha! Cute Ursula. :-D

    Yeah, probably shouldn't let this one go to waste, though I'm hem-hawing... But gosh, it would be neat to write some of the magical characters in the story!

    Thanks, Ladies!

    ReplyDelete