Monday, February 14, 2011

All Things Romantic Suspense: Interview #6 - Rachel Brimble


Had a few technical difficulties this morning, but Rachel and I didn't miss our date! (Thanks again Rachel, for your patience) So please welcome Rachel Brimble for Week Six of All Things Romantic Suspense!

Before we get started, tell us a little about you, Rachel -


I am married with two daughters (12 and 10) and live in the lovely Wiltshire countryside in the UK. I work part time for my husband who is a financial adviser and spend the rest of my time writing, looking after the house & kids or walking my beloved third child, Max the Labrador.


The normal (some say abnormal!) woman juggling life!


So I have to admit I scoped out your website and saw the pictures of what must be near your home and I'm so jealous! It looks absolutely beautiful. Do you find your home to be a source of inspiration for you?


I LOVE where I live but would like to move even deeper into the country. I live close to a cluster of villages and towns known as the Cotswolds, my favourite of which is Bourton-on-the-Water. Anyone who knows me, knows this is where I want to spend the rest of my life.

I just need to write a bestseller or two to pay for it!


Do you ever plot while out walking or do you take the peaceful time to let your mind rest?


I tend to do a lot of problem solving when I am walking – thinking characters through, emotional arcs, their motivations and backstory. I usually get my plot ‘Eureka!” moments when I’m outside.

If I’m not problem solving when I’m walking the dog, I am reading – I cause quite a stir in my neighbourhood because I manage to read novels while walking him, LOL!


That is a talent, Rachel! I find I can't plot well, or write even, without music to help guide the emotions. Are you the same or do you need silence? If so, what's currently on your play list and what's it helping you to focus on?


I tend to need silence but when I wrote my novella, Transatlantic Loving, music helped me then. It is part of The Wild Rose Press series, Class of ’85 so listening to ‘80s pop music really took me back there and stirred up a lot of emotions that I was feeling at the time.

Lyrics of songs can evoke great story ideas, by the way!


Oh I completely agree (hence the can't write without music issue, LOL!). What is your biggest writing weakness? Does it change with each story or is it always something you tend to struggle with?


Plotting – I always struggle with the plotting of the whole novel. I’ll get the idea, the characters, their goals but making sure the story is plausible and all the details tie in, is my biggest weakness. I tend to worry how good the story is throughout the entire writing process – the buzz comes when an editor thinks so much of it, they want to buy it.


And your biggest writing pet-peave that you find in other writers?


I don’t think I really have one – we all write differently, we all plot differently, we all think differently. The only problem I’ve got is when people say they are writers, but don’t actually spend time doing the work!


So, as with all our wonderful and amazingly talented cohorts in crime, you write romantic suspense. Why?


Romantic suspense is my absolute favourite sub-genre of romance to read so it is natural I write it. I love the genre because you have the love, the romance, the character growth and added to that you have the danger, suspense and thrill of an underlying crime. Irresistible!


Is that your only genre? If so, why have you decided to stay there? If not, what made you venture on to different genres?


LOL! I write across the sub-genres. My published novels are as follows: Two romantic suspense, one romantic comedy, one historical and two contemporary.

What I write depends on the character who appears in my mind – that’s how my story ideas usually begin. I hear a voice in my head and then it’s up to me to listen hard enough to figure out who they are, when and where they live and of course, their problem.

Once I have that figured out, I know the sub-genre of my next book.


You sound like me... I can't quite keep the voices, or the situations, contained. :-) Is there a singular quality you always like to instill in your characters or do you like to change it up with each story?


I suppose the common theme in my heroines has been learning to trust – I always tend to lean back to this, whether it be to trust someone else or trust themselves. It’s so important to believe in people and you – life is so much harder if you don’t.


Thank you so much for stopping by, Rachel! Let us know where else we can find you -

www.rachelbrimble.com

www.rachelbrimble.blogspot.com

www.twitter.com/rachelbrimble.com


Thank you all for meeting Rachel Brimble! Be sure to stop back by tomorrow to read her excerpt from Searching for Sophie.


Elaina

7 comments:

  1. I do my best plotting when I'm walking. Fabulous, Ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel,

    I knew we have a lot in common! I plot out all my books while hiking (or snowshoeing currently!) in the woods with my dog. I truly think fresh air and exercise stirs up the old brain cells.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jerri & Jannine!

    Great to see you here, I really feel as though we are starting to get to know each other via our blog visits, don't you? I bet your dog loves the snow, Jannine. Mine goes mad whenever we see it, which is rarely!

    Best
    R x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jerri and Jannine for stopping by! Sorry I didn't reply sooner (and sorry I missed your blog tour yesterday Jerri) life was not easy yesterday!

    Thanks for visiting me here, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I am a pantser, I worry over plotting, as well. Interesting post. I'm sure your family is very proud of you. Much success!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for stopping by, Vonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Vonnie! My family are proud of me...well, when I'm not grouchy from not writing, LOL!

    R x

    ReplyDelete