Tuesday, February 1, 2011

All Things Romantic Suspense: Leanne Dyck - The Sweater Curse


Please enjoy this excerpt from Leanne Dyck's Romantic Suspense/Thriller, The Sweater Curse.

Book Specifics -
Genre- Suspense/Thriller, romance
Length- 23k (novella)
Heat Level- Sweet
Sexual Orientation- M/F
Content Warning-

BLURB -
Aspiring knitwear designer Gwen Bjarnson is stuck in Purgatory. To escape, she must re-examine her life, journey through her past and right a wrong.

But which wrong?

Young and in love, she works to establish her career, except fate has different plans. One rash act and she loses everything. Never resting, always seeking, and yearning for what she can no longer have. Gwen faces the truth: if she remains, others are destined to die.

How will she solve the mystery before it is too late?


EXCERPT -

Mom, Dad and I sat as a family in our living room as the man in the suit informed us, “St. Paul’s in downtown Vancouver is an acute care, teaching, and research hospital. Excuse me for saying so, but here, your talent is largely wasted. There you’ll be a highly respected member of our world-class team.”

The suit left. I went to bed and eavesdropped as my parents continued to talk.

“Oh, Kris, don’t you see? I have to go! The offer is just too good to pass up.”

I know what Afi would have told her. “You are my woman. Your place is here on this farm with me.”

What did my dad say? “Of course, honey, I understand. Wherever you go, I will follow. I love you too much not to.” And so we left.

Well, not quite. First we had to say a few good-byes. Most were tearful and heartwarming.

Mother gave her notice at the hospital. Nurses, staff, and patients organized a potluck dinner to send her off in rural-style. They shook her hand, and wished her luck.

She glowed, her ego swelled, but she didn’t care.

Tears were shed, hugs were given, but Afi’s eyes were dry. His arms folded in front of his chest. His face was an angry shade of red and steam came out of his ears.

“I knew you were bad news the minute I met you. You have no respect for tradition, for our ways,” he roared.

Mother roared back. “And you think a woman’s place is in the kitchen, in bed, or under your feet.”

“Kris, be a man. Control your woman.” My dad’s face was white; he gulped, but didn’t say a word. This battle was between Mother and Afi. “I knew you wouldn’t act to defend our ways. You’ve never had a backbone. Your mother coddled you, and now look at you, you’re not a man. You’re a mouse. You let this woman walk all over you. You let her rob you of all you have. You don’t stand up to her or teach her to mind.”

My dad said nothing in his defense, but Mother tried. “Don’t talk that way to him. He respects me.”

Afi ignored her, didn’t even look at her, simply continued his tirade.

“You’ve turned your back on family history, on our way of life, and you’ve endangered the survival of the family farm” He glared at Mother. “If our ways aren’t good enough for you, then you aren’t good enough for us. Get the hell off my land. Leave. Now!”


Like what you read? Want more? Please follow these buy links for more to purchase, or for more information on The Sweater Curse - Amazon, Decadent Publishing, Smashwords


Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed!


Elaina

No comments:

Post a Comment