Friday, April 8, 2011

All Things Romantic Suspense: Interview #12 - Jess Anatasi


Yay! *claps happily* I have fellow Noble Romance author, Jess Anatasi visiting my blog today, along with her absolutely STUNNING cover art! Sigh... cover art happiness... Please take a moment to make her feel welcome!

Before we get started, tell us a little about you, Jess

– I live in Australia, I'm a mum and when I happen to find five minutes to myself, I like to write.

As a fellow Noble Romance author, I think you and I had the same cover artist, CH Scarlett. So when you received your cover, what did you do?

– Jumped up and down saying "oh my god oh my god!" because I loved it so much! CH Scarlett is kind of brilliant, she also did covers for Sanctuary and Severance and I pretty much had the same reaction to all of them.

I know I uploaded mine to my phone and sent it personally to every person I knew, LOL! Did you do something similar?

- Yes, for a while it was the screensaver on my phone (Severance is my screensaver at the moment) and I pretty much plastered it wherever I could think of. I'm sure people were sick of hearing about it.

You've released two other novels since your first, to make a total of three since November, how do you find the time?

– Sanctuary and Dead Reality were both already there ready to go, but I wrote Severance in about 4 weeks. I tend to be a prolific writer when I get the time and am on a roll, especially if I'm really enthusiastic about what I'm writing. This past fortnight, I just churned out a 30,000 word novella and am now ready to start work on the 3rd Sanctuary book. With any luck, I might get that written in another 4 – 5 weeks as well.

What is your biggest inspiration and when do you find inspiration strikes the most?

- Funnily enough, anything "space" related. I'm a total geek. I'll watch documentaries on wormhole theory (though I probably only understand less than half of it) quantum physics (though again, at a disadvantage when it comes to IQ levels) or programs about discovering the rest of the universe. Inspiration can strike at any time. I'm intrigued by the idea of the possibilities, who knows what's "out there", could be anything! I also LOVE sci-fi and spec-fic. Joss Whedon is my ultimate hero, because Firefly/Serenity was quite simply brilliant. Not to mention all things Buffy, Angel and Dollhouse are great. And I am a tiny bit obsessed with Supernatural, Vampire Diaries and Smallville (*sob* Smallville is on its last season!)

You write in multiple genre's all at once (which is awesome by the way!), do you find that many of your readers really enjoy delving into such a unique book?

- Even though I loved my Sanctuary idea (mixing sci-fi, paranormal and romance) I wasn't ever sure I'd be able to do anything with it. Luckily Noble thought the idea was brilliant and took Sanctuary, giving me the chance to write Severance and continue the series. Although Noble was willing to take the risk on the story, I wasn't sure how readers would receive it, I didn't know if it was too different. But, the reviews and feedback I've been getting have been great. Something about the story just seems to be working and has really hit a chord with readers. And it's at this point I will shamelessly mention the 5/5 stars reviews Severance has gotten – one at Long and Short Romance Reviews (http://longandshortreviews.blogspot.com/2011/03/severance-by-jess-anastasi.html) and the other at The Romance Reviews (http://www.theromancereviews.com/viewbooksreview.php?bookid=2076)

Do you find most of your stories have a suspenseful element? If not, do you enjoy writing the suspenseful stories more than the others?

– Yes, I would say that all my stories have a suspenseful element to some degree. I like to keep myself entertained, I like to "challenge" (aka torture) my characters, and I want to keep the reader engaged and invested in the story.

Critique partners are so important to us as writers. What advice would you give a new writer just venturing into the world of critique partners?

- Make sure the crit partner you're going to be working with understands exactly what you want out of working with her/him. If this isn't established from the start, you could end up wasting your time and it ends up being a frustrating or upsetting experience. Also, you don't have to take on everything your crit partner suggests, they are suggestions. If something doesn't feel true to you, you have the right to say no, even if you crit partner is more experienced in the industry. It's all about learning, after all.

Thank you so much, Jess, for stopping by! Please tell us where we can find more about you: my blog: www.jessanastasi.blogspot.com

Or my website (which I am terrible at updating, so you'll find more to-the-moment info on my blog www.jessanastasi.com


Be sure to stop by tomorrow to get a sneak peek at one of Jess's unique stories!


Elaina

2 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous cover, Jess, and great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, her covers are amazing! Thanks for stopping by, Jerri!

    ReplyDelete