Thursday, May 26, 2011

Excerpt Thursday - L.E. Harvey - Imperfect


This story looks to be not only a thought provoking read, but an emotional one as well. Please welcome author L.E. Harvey to my blog and take a moment to check out her stirring novel.

Book Specifics -
Genre - Contemporary Romantic Fiction/LGBT Fiction
Length - 66k (novel)
Heat Level - Sensual (3 of 5)
Sexual Orientation - F/F
Content Warnings - Some prejudicial slurs, slight lesbian sexual content - intended for readers 18+

Blurb -

Imperfect is the story of Carol Mathers. Carol was born a sickly child, and received a blood transfusion in the early 1980's. Now in her mid-thirties, she's a highly sought IT guru in St. Louis. She has built a great life for herself with her partner of twelve years, Alexandria.

Carol and Alexandria face prejudice as a lesbians, and as an interracial couple. Fighting tragedy and sometimes finding triumph, both of the women live day to day.

During her tumultuous life, Carol discovers that she has acquired AIDS as a result of her childhood transfusion. Now, they face even more obstacles, prejudice, and a new life as AIDS patients. Carol learns just how much her chaotic past has affected her, and how she can never really escape it, even as she tries to move on with her life.

An unexpected hostage event creates even more pain and tragedy in Carol's life, and causes her to wonder about the meaning of and purpose of her own life.


Excerpt -


A week passed by since Carol met Alex. Carol desperately wanted to call her, but her inhibitions held her back. Now it was Valentine’s Day and Carol was spending it alone, studying as usual.

Carol looked over the words in her textbook about servers, hardware, CPU’s, and other endless computer terminology when she was startled by a knock on her door. All of her floor-mates knew she’d be studying.

Carol wondered who was at her door.

She opened the door hesitantly. Before her stood Alex, radiant as ever in a beautiful red dress that contrasted nicely against her dark skin. Alex held a dozen roses and handed them to a dumbstruck Carol. Slowly, Carol’s face began to reflect the bright, beautiful smile and glow from Alex’s face.

“It’s a good thing your friends like to talk,” Alexandria said.

Carol just stood there silently for several minutes. Finally she said softly, “I’ve wanted to call…”

“I heard,” Alex laughed. “Now, are you ready to go?”

“But – I’m – you...”

“Oh, just put those books away, and come with me already.” Alex jokingly commanded Carol.

Carol simply laughed and walked out of her dorm room with her stunning companion.

Alex drove them to her apartment. It was the ground level of a house and she had her own driveway. It seemed to be a nice, quiet place to live. As they entered, Carol was greeted by candles lit all over the apartment. The dining room table had two tall pink taper candles glowing beautifully. Rose petals surrounded the two places settings on the table. It was the most beautiful, romantic picture Carol had ever seen.

Alex grabbed Carol’s hand. “C’mon, it’s ok.” Alex led Carol into the cozy apartment. Carol heard smooth jazz music playing in the background. Alex had tended to even the most minute of details. “Sit,” Alex quietly said.

Carol sat herself at one of the elegant place settings at the long, rectangular, wooden dining room table without saying a word.

“Ever have Riesling wine?” Alex asked.

Carol shook her head no.

“It’s my favorite. I have a major sweet tooth so I even like my wine sweet. It’s very light and fruity. I think you’ll like it.” Alex sounded like a wine expert as she poured the two glasses. “So,” she said setting the glasses down and sitting across from Carol. “Tell me about yourself. Not that your friends haven’t already told me a lot. You have them to thank for this by the way.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, I had this all planned out, but all I had to go on was your first name. I drove back to your dorm in the hopes that I would somehow find you. Thankfully a group of people were just heading out of your dorm as I pulled up.”

“Marlene,” Carol whispered.

“Is that your roommate?”

Carol nodded.

“Well, thank God. She saw me and came right up to me. She asked me if I was the ‘incredible Alexandria’ that you met at City Girls last week. I told her I was anything but incredible, but my name is Alexandria.”

Carol giggled quietly.

“Anyway,” Alex continued to ramble. “She asked me if I was there to get you. I said yes, but only if you didn’t have other plans. So then she laughed and said your plans were a hot date with your books. She told me all this stuff about how quiet you are, you take classes every term, even during school breaks, you rarely date, blah blah blah. So please explain to me how a cute and obviously very intelligent girl like you isn’t living it up during your college years.”


Enjoy what you read? Want to know what happens next? Follow these buy links to find out! Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Smashwords, Omnilit, All Romance


Be sure to stop back by tomorrow for PART TWO of Confessions of an Acquiring Editor with Cate Chase!


Elaina


No comments:

Post a Comment