Monday, June 6, 2011

Interview with Sandra Sookoo


Today I have Sandra Sookoo on my blog! Please give her a big welcome!

Thanks for having me on your blog today! I'm so excited. Why? Today is the release day for my latest Holiday Magic book (#5) MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S STEVE.

1. You've written a lot of books (seriously, I stand in awe before you), do you schedule writing time to accomplish that or do you write as inspiration strikes?

First and foremost, you have to remember that writing is a business, a job. If you want to succeed at it, you have to make time to work on it, no matter what else you have going on in your life. So yes, I do write every day. Even if I don't feel like it, I try to get at least 100 words in. Sometimes, if you wait around for inspiration, nothing gets done!

2. I suppose that's where I sometimes go wrong... *sheepish grin* I noticed personally, after my initial submission and consequent acceptance, pushing the 'send' button on a submission is considerably easier. No more shaking or email stalking, LOL! Have you found that too, or do you still get nervous jitters when you submit a manuscript?

Ha! Every time I hit "send" on a book submission, I feel the "omg what have I done" syndrome. I don't think that will ever go away. There's always the potential for rejection when you put yourself out there. Do I check my email obsessively? No, not anymore. The best thing to do is just write the next book. Always be moving forward.

3. Yeah, I'm nervous about WHY I'll get rejected, not so much that I will, it's bound to happen, LOL! Enough about rejections for now though (they depress me), lets move on to something a little more fun. Of all the genres you've written, what is your favorite and why?

Hmm, that's hard to answer because whatever genre I'm working on is my "current" favorite LOL But if I had to choose, it would most likely be a blend of genres. It allows more freedom that way.

4. Very interesting! Writing is a process. Some plot, some don't, some scribble furiously over post-its and tack them to the wall. Then comes the actual writing, critiquing, self-editing and eventual editing. What part do you like the least? Or is the whole process something you enjoy?

I enjoy the whole process. I outline before doing anything so I think that goes a long way into trouble shooting. Every part of writing is vital. I just keep learning with each piece I write.

5. If you could go back in time and tell your 'new' writing self ONE thing, what would it be?

LOL That I'm not going to be able to learn everything there is to learn in a few short weeks. I'm like a sponge and constantly sucking up new techniques, etc. I want it all now so I can apply it to future books. It's a marathon not a sprint.

6. So very true! Unfortunately, being writer means you're going to collect a few rejections. As you mature in your writing career, these just become a fact. But for the new writer, just venturing out of their comfort zone and taking the chance, those rejections are a huge blow. What advice to do you have on how best to deal with a rejection letter?

It's not a personal attack on you. Rejections happen. Don't let it defeat you. Submit to another publisher and move on. Learn the craft. Improve with every book. Keep going.

7. Now for something a little off the writing topic *grin*. I adore music, need it to write by, so I'm always curious about others. What are the five songs, that are fairly current, that you can't get enough of right now? Do you write by them or use them for inspiration? Did they spawn anything neat and can you share it?

Hmm, I don't listen to music when I write. Some books just don't have "play lists" either. Some of the songs I like are:

Firework by Katy Perry

What do you want from me by Adam Lambert

Raise your Glass by Pink

Life After You by Daughtery (inspired an upcoming release in August)

I guess it really depends on the mood of the piece I'm writing.

If you want to keep current with my book releases and things that are already available, hop over to my website http://www.sandrasookoo.com. You can connect to my Believing is Seeing blog from there as well. I'm also on Twitter and Facebook.


Yay! Thank you SO much, Sandra! Tomorrow I will post an excerpt from Sandra's latest release, Midsummer Night's Steve, and one lucky commenter will win a FREE eCopy of Sandra's novella. So be sure to stop by and enter!


Elaina

5 comments:

  1. Great interview! I'm always interested in learning how writers deal with all the facets of a writers life—ideas, writing, revision, and rejection. Thanks for you insights, Sandra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice interview. Like the cover on your book. I'm glad you pointed out that writing is a job. That is the only way to approach it or you'll never get writing time.

    smg5775@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Heather and She for stopping by and commenting! And you're very welcome Sandra, it was a pleasure having you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Random winner on this post is Heather! Please email me your mailing address. :-)

    ReplyDelete