Thursday, July 14, 2011

Excerpt Thursday - Rachel Brimble - Reluctant Witness


Please welcome Rachel Brimble back to my blog as she shares her novel with you!

Book Specifics -

Genre - Romantic Suspense/Mystery
Length - Novel - 63k (232 pages)
Heat Level - Sensual (3 of 5)
Sexual Orientation - M/F
Content Warnings -

Blurb -

Professional singer Julia Kershaw is leaving town and moving on with her life. She desperately needs an escape from her mother’s grief over the loss of Julia’s brother – shot and killed by an overzealous cop – and an ex-boyfriend who refuses to accept it’s over.

But when she becomes the sole witness to the murder of a man she has known all her life, how can she leave without helping to find his killer? But how can she work with a cop after everything the police have put her family through?

When Detective Inspector Daniel Conway is removed from the city chaos he thrives on, and sent to a sleepy seaside town, the last thing he expects is a murder case. With an impeccable record that he intends to keep that way, for both personal and professional reasons, he refuses to allow his very beautiful, sexy – and secretive to walk away from the case. Or him.


Excerpt -

His eyes were on hers but Julia could tell his mind was not really seeing her. His brain was already busy processing what little information she had been able to give him. He put the pen down on the desk.

"There's something else I need to know," he said. "Is there any chance, any chance at all, that the killer may have seen you?"

Julia shook her head. "I don't think so, he took off straight away."

"That doesn't necessarily mean he didn't see you," he said slowly.

Julia blanched and fisted her hands in her lap. "I know it doesn't, Inspector," she said curtly, "but isn't it your job to reassure me? Make me feel safe?"

He didn't answer, just continued to stare at her while methodically rubbing his hand back and forth along his jaw.

Julia crossed her arms. "Well?"

A flicker of something flashed behind his eyes as he watched her. Julia frowned. Doubt? Suspicion? No ... wait a minute ... was that amusement?

"Why are you looking at me like that?" she demanded. "Don't you believe me?"

"I believe you, it's just I've never come across such open hostility from a civilian before, that's all," he said, a small smile playing at the corners of his mouth. "Do you have a problem with just me or cops in general?"


Want to know what happens next? Follow these buy links to find out! The Wild Rose Press, Amazon, All Romance


Thanks for stopping by!


Elaina

2 comments:

  1. Put on my TBR list! A similiar circumstance happened July 2nd to one of my brother's friends. He was shot and killed by his brother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, Stephy, that's awful!!! I'm sorry for your brother, and for you if he was a close friend.

    Thanks for checking out Rachel's book, I'm glad you enjoyed the excerpt.

    ReplyDelete