Friday, January 13, 2012

Friday the 13th Blog Hop! Why Today is Unlucky

NEW TO THE HOP?  HEAD TO  http://briclarkthebelleofboise.blogspot.com TO START AT THE BEGINNING!!!  HAVE FUN! 

A couple years ago I read a book titled Dungeon, Fire and Sword, by John J. Robinson.  A fascinating history of the Knights Templar from their creation to their betrayal.  He taught me something I'd have never otherwise have known about, since I never picked up The DaVinci Code (I guess it's covered in there too, heh).

I'd never been one to really care about Friday the 13th, it hasn't been an unlucky day for me.  But on Friday, October 13th, 1307, it was a very unlucky day for any man associated with the Knights Templar.  The Catholic church, having decided the Templars were far too powerful and rich, signed an order declaring them all traitors of the church. The first arrest happened around 5 pm, that Friday the 13th.  Sadly, those that weren't killed (refusing to confess to the crimes they were charged with resulted in death), were given little souvenirs of their time in the torture chamber, usually their charred finger or toe bones in a little pouch.  Since that day, Friday the 13th has been considered unlucky.

When my family makes a big deal about today, I laugh and say, "There's only one Friday the 13th I'm truly concerned about."  You can rest assured this girl will be locked up tight in her house when Friday the 13th falls in October....


Hop to the next stop (link below image)!
 www.Rachel-Haimowitz.blogspot.com


Don't forget to hop to the next stop for your chance at the Grand Prize!  Good luck!


Thank you for stopping by!


Elaina

22 comments:

  1. Thanks for an interesting post!

    bessieinthewell@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Friday's on the 12th in October, then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Thanks for posting.
    brandon_savannah@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for stopping by, Betty, Sherry and Savannah!

    I think last October had a Friday the 13th. I didn't leave the house either, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great history of Friday the 13th. I had never heard of that. I have never paid any attention to Friday the 13th (except the movies, loved them growing up).
    manning_j2004 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did not know that about Friday 13th. I have always found the Templars interesting. I am going to see if my library has this book and read it.

    koonie2888 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, June and Michelle! And I hope you're able to find it Michelle, it's an amazing read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never really known the background of Friday the 13th. Thank you for the info.

    seriousreader at live dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never heard of this for, very interesting. Thanks for the blog hop.

    lead[at]hotsheet[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Linda and Virginia! Don't you love it when you learn something new? :-) Glad you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Creepy but interesting :)

    Morganlafey86(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know, could you imagine, Krysy? It would have been horrible. :-( Thank you for stopping by!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually knew this since I wrote Untouched and did Templar research.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always wanted to write a Templar book, but it's a hard subject to take on. You did a great job, Jerri. And it's a really neat area of history to learn about. :-) Thanks for stopping by!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had completely forgotten the origins of Friday the 13th till I stopped here!
    seritzkoATgmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had absolutely no idea of the origins of Friday the 13th. Very cool info!

    Thank you for participating in the blog hop!!

    Gena Robertson
    robertsongena@Hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for checking it out, Susie and Gena! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cool blog! Thanks for being a part of the hop!

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much for stopping by, Sylvia! Hope you've been enjoying the hop. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love reading historical romances, especially love to find the medieval. The history to learn is fun. And fastinating to read about the this! Thanks bunches!!! Looking forward to reading your books!

    cathiecaffey @ gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the the blog hop it's so much fun.
    strodesherry4 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you, Caffey! I hope if you pick up one of my books, you won't be disappointed. :-) I don't write historical, I can never seem to get the dialogue correct. :-)

    Thank you, Sherry! I'm so glad you had a good time! We sure enjoyed putting it together.

    ReplyDelete