Friday, January 20, 2012

Word Count Friday - Join Me!

I need some serious motivation.  Life is really hectic and busy for me.  Shoot, I currently have seven laundry baskets lined up down the hallway.  Some have been there for almost two weeks.  No joke.  We have clean clothes, clean dishes to eat from and a healthy, home cooked meal every night, I can't really be expected to do much else, LOL! So writing time is really difficult to come by.

However, we ALL know the number one way to sell a book is to write the next one.  I know I personally don't take a chance on a new author unless he or she has a good solid back list.  I'm a loyal fan, chances are if I've read ya once, I'll read you again, and again until there's nothing left to read and I'm anticipating your next release.  So, naturally, I need to be an author who has a back list.  While I do have one, it's not as solid as I'd like, especially since I have a bad habit of genre hopping.  What can I say, my muse is adventurous!

So, to help motivate me, every Friday I'm determined to do Word Count Friday.  I'd REALLY love if all my writing friends out there joined me.  How?  Easy, post your word count in my comments below.  Let's see how well we can do!  Every week I hope to see you all back here, so we can cheer each other on and really get motivated to complete our next work, or even your first one!

Here is my Word Count Friday:

Book: Enchanted Passion (working title) Book one of Hearts Unearthed.
Last Weeks Word Count: 6,400
This Weeks Word Count: 7,900

Total words written this week:  1,500

That's totally not bad, but I hope to beat it next week!  Hope to see YOU here next week too!

Elaina

14 comments:

  1. My current word count is 1,981. *hangs head* That is SO not where I wanted. No more derailment - I've said it out loud, so now I must WRITE. ;c) I'll be back next week with a major improvement on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to be at 10k, which means 2,100 words next week. I *used* to be able to crank that out in a day! But, I take what I can get :). Thanks for joining me, Sarah! Woot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to be at 10k by Friday, too! Fingers crossed for both of us. (Only that will be my excuse for not getting anything done. Can't type with my fingers crossed!)

      Delete
  3. Hi, Elaina! Sarah sent me over. This is a fantastic idea! I'm on board. But... I must say, I'm a big ol' epic fail. My total word count for this week is a big fat ZERO. Well, maybe I'll go with somewhere around 10, because I did delete some words, and substitute with some different ones. lol It's been a rough week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been in such chaos with the move, Melissa - no one blames you one bit! But I hope this will provide a little bit of motivation. Even if it's just 100 words a day, spending time with the story will keep you into it. (Says me, who needs to follow my own advice! LOL.)

      Delete
    2. Very good advice. I think we are still trying to get in the swing of things with Dan being gone. I just made a spreadsheet of the bills. Look at me go... being all dependent and stuff. Yay, me! lol

      Delete
  4. Yay, awesome Melissa! I was at zero until Wednesday. My crit partner asked "so how much have you written this week, I NEED to know someone has been writing!" and I sheepishly had to answer, I'd written nothing. She burst out laughing and I realized, come Friday I'd be posting a public word count and zero was NOT acceptable, LOL! I agree completely with Sarah, even if it's just a hundred words, you WROTE and that's all that matters. :-D Thanks for joining us, I'm so excited to see how well we do next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, my crit partner (erm, Sarah) said the same thing... in all caps, so I believe she was.... yelling at me?? This could be some great motivation, I'm happy you started this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! I thought it was pretty good motivation too. Even if no one replied (I'm SO glad you all did!) my word count was still there for all to see in it's sucky glory, LOL! So, I'm hoping for some good numbers, from all of us! ;-)

      Delete
  6. I'm 28k. Which is really impressive until I tell you I started this book in March of last year. Of course I took four months off to write two other books, but still...I'd love to be finished with it already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG. I thought that was 28k this week. I was almost SO not speaking to you! LOL. Here's to a fabulous restart! ;c)

      Delete
    2. I totally understand, Leah! Took me two years to write 64k, not kidding. And I didn't stop to write anything else! Here's hoping to a much more productive year! I'm bursting with excitement to see how well we all do next week! :-D

      Delete
    3. I'm a sooo not going to tell you how long it took me to write my completed ms!! We're talking years here, not months. YEARS. What is it, like... eight, Sarah? We figured this out once. Of course, I took whole years off in between there, but its been hashed to pieces, cut in half, and stands at something like 114k completed.

      Delete
  7. My first novel *ahem* took me three years and came out to a whopping total of 285k.... And then eight more equally atrocious pieces of fiction followed. Thank goodness for critique partners, that's all I have to say! :-D

    ReplyDelete