Monday, July 7, 2014

Music Monday with Author S.D. Grady

As an author who can't write without music I wanted to find like-minded (or like-bound) authors who shared my passion (or chains).  Without music the scenes don't unfold, the emotions don't play out, the vivid scene required doesn't occur.  I'm excited to share with you authors who write by music and how it's inspired them.   Today I introduce S.D. Grady.  :)

Searching for the Darkness in the Sound by S.D. Grady

Book Title - The Heart of the Dragon
Genre - romance, erotic romance, historical, fantasy (as in Once Upon a TIme In a Land Far Away)Heat Level -SensualSexual Orientation - m/fContent Warnings - Battle sequences, dismemberment, medieval warfare, massive casualties, sword play, bloody
I can't say that music is the initial inspiration for any of my stories, as music is such an integral part of my life. It's a constant tattoo that accompanies me just about every moment of the day. However, music always propels my muse forward.  I look to my ever expanding library to keep my ear, and my brain, alive and searching for new thoughts, tales, and sounds.  I am particularly fond of orchestral soundtracks for film--possibly because they are often scored for action and emotion. So they reflect the feelings I am trying to transfer to the laptop screen at any given instant.

From the first instant, The Heart of the Dragon was destined to be a dark, moody romance full of danger.  Prince Pietro is a shadowed character, living on the edge of myth and supposition. But his actions are clearly delineated in blood and fire. Thus, I turned to sounds that fueled emotions like anger, fear, and even echoes of times in the distant past.

The song that I most keenly associate with The Dragon is: Duel of the Fates from Star Wars: Episode I soundtrack by John Williams.The choral motif is stunning. I can never sit still when it's playing, and neither can my fingers.
When attempting to regain a sense of the otherworld I relate Pietro's palace with, I turned to Canto Gregoriano. This recording of Gregorian Chant by the Benedictine Monks truly captures the echoes and sense of patience that belong in an ancient stronghold.
However, there are always my stand-bys guaranteed to help me connect with "the zone."  The Braveheart soundtrack, any Celtic Woman CD and a healthy dose of Beethoven will send me into the depths of my imagination.

As to Pietro's personal music?  He gets the Imperial March from Star Wars: Episode IV 

Blurb for The Heart of the Dragon:
At night, he fights. In the dawn, he loves. Only with her, he lives. 
Lady Yelena is sent in marriage to Prince Pietro, known as the Vellenican Dragon. Instead of her sisters' elegant beauty, she brings a dowry of swords to the warrior prince. A hard man to love, night after night the prince leaves Yelena behind as he battles against the evil Wasti in a generations long war. Each morning he returns to her bloody and beaten. They despair of ever finding peace for their homelands. Then Yelena discovers treachery in her personal guard and she must find the strength to raise her own sword and fight for her family, her honor, and her prince.
Buy links:

Want to know more about S.D. Grady?  Check her out at: 

Hope you enjoyed!

Elaina
 

6 comments:

  1. The book sounds wonderful, S.D.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Elaina, for having me today! Music has always been near and dear to my heart. Thanks, Jerri (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Thanks for the last minute swap and for being a guest. :)

      Delete
  3. I get a lot of mileage out of Behind Blue Eyes while tuning my nerves, but while writing I tend to turn to music in languages I don't understand. Purely instrumental just doesn't do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to need lyrics, and the lyrics may have nothing to do with the scene, or they may have everything. The way the singer sings or the music behind the lyrics may be what drives the song for me. But I always need music playing. Instrumental is hard, but I adore the soundtracks to both 300 and Gladiator. So amazing.

      Delete